Car sharing is when 2 or more people share the same journey for all or part of a trip. Passengers would either contribute money for the fuel or offer to make the next journey.
Ideally it is best to start by working out if you could use other means of transport. Do you need your car? Could you walk or cycle it? However, for many of us, this is not a viable option, which leaves us car sharing!
Benefits of car sharing
- Saving money – Less fuel going in your tank, more money in your pocket!
- Make new friends – Car sharing will mean you will have someone to share your journey with – often more entertaining than a radio.
- Sustainability – Your carbon footprint will go down and your planet will thank you.
- Easier to park – Those busy days in the car park, will be much less busy if we all car shared!
- Reduce congestion – The roads to work always busy? Car sharing will mean less cars on the road – less congestion!
- Improve air quality – Less cars = less air pollution
How to start car sharing
Firstly, you need to establish if anyone you know does the same journey at the same time. You can start by asking your friends or office colleagues. You will be surprised how many live near you and you didn’t even know it. Even if you just share part of the journey it will still save fuel and money, and make your journey more enjoyable. Additionally, some organisations operate a lift sharing scheme which is always worth investigating.
If your office and organisation is not fruitful, then there are many websites dedicated to helping people car share. You just pop in your times and destinations and it will let you know if there is a match.
Please remember that your personal security should be a key part of any car share arrangement.