Ever wanted to compost, but not want the compost to deal with? Or do you want to compost things like cooked food and meat, but don’t know where to start? Let me introduce you to the Green Cone!
What is a Green cone and how does it work?
A Green Cone is a solar digester. It uses the heat of the sun to compost/digest the food waste added to the bin. This is known as hot composting. This compost bin will digest food that cold composting cannot and will not leave you with any compost.
Where do I locate my green cone?
You need to locate your green cone somewhere sunny with an available bit of ground that can be dug up – no use putting it on a patio. It is also best to locate it in a convenient position in your garden so it is easy for you to compost – even when the weather is not so favourable.
How do I install it?
A green cone is different to a traditional compost bin in that you bury part of it. The black salad spinner bit at the bottom in buried in the ground, then a black cone is put on top of that and then the green cone bit sits on top of the black cone. This set up makes the bin nice and hot in the sun.
What can I put in it?
- Cooked Food
Don’t put in:
- Grass Cuttings
- Paper and Cardboard
How do I use it?
- All you do is put in your food waste and then it is magically composted with hardly any residue.
- You need to make sure not to fill it above the buried part of the bin otherwise it will reduce its effectiveness.
- This bin is really suited to composting food waste. You cannot compost paper or cardboard and it is not recommended to put your grass cuttings in either. These are more suited to your cold compost bin. Check out my post on How do I start Composting?
- The bin will also work better and compost more in the summer than in the winter.
You may also like:
- What Plastics Can I Recycle?
- How to reduce food waste?
- How your weekly food Shopping can help the environment?
- Why should I use my Food Waste Caddy?